Thursday, July 5

Babies & Facebook

Facebook accounts have a section where a member may edit their status. Buffalo Bill would write "I'm about to shoot down a large heard" or Osama may update his account with "I'm plotting to kill more innocent people." What did I write?

My facebook account currently reads "C****** is pregnant!" I can't wait to see what type of hub bub this creates! I can see my mother in 6 months bumping into some high school alum's mom at the grocery store who will ask "Has your daughter had her baby yet?" I'll keep you posted.

This leads me to two interesting articles I've read this past week. While both cover social and class issues in America and the greater world, the first focuses on the two most popular internet based social newtowrking sites: Myspace vs Facebook . Apparently, facebook is for the yuppie, college bound, "good kid" crowd, while myspace is more urban, non-educated, artistically expressive, and alternative in a sex pervert type of way. Obviously there are many exceptions to both sides, I don't have a myspace account but certainly do know a couple of idiots on facebook.

I found the second article today while trying to look up what month the most babies are born in on average (we interns were guessing) over the past 20 years. It's from the Christian Science Monitor back in October 2004, and investigates adoption in America - the "importation" of foreign babies into American homes while "exporting" black babies primarily to Europe. The article suggests racism factors within America have, for many years, kept white wealthy families from being interested in adopting black children. Luckily people are evolving and this is becoming less and less the case, but for many years black babies up for adoption have been sent off to Europe and Canada where people are supposedly more color blind and accepting.

Please read both articles, they're very interesting. Especially if you have a preference to myspace of facebook, or if you're erm...adopting? Although I doubt the subjects would overlap.

No comments: