Wednesday, June 27

Ode to the Zipper

Think about it - the zipper is a very important invention. Those little plastic teeth, the Y shaped key you whip up and down your jacket when you're too hot or too cold. And they're waterproof! But most importantly - isn't it interesting that the popular YKK brand of zipper, based in Hong Kong, is so popular that almost EVERYTHING you zip has their letters on it.

Look at your croch. Right now. Check out the long reflecting bit. And what does it say on your zipper? Yeah, that's what I thought - YKK rules the world. FYI - this croch zipper is typically of the "metallic zipper" family, very common in pants. My Lucky Jeans even say "L U C K Y Y O U" as I unzip them. Cute, I know.

What is possibly most interesting about YKK is their production tactics. This is what I was told by my marketing prof in London before I dropped his class: Their factories are under lock and key, employees sign all these contracts saying they wont tell anyone how the zippers are manufactured, and the buildings are unmarked. Top secret stuff.

You've got to give YKK credit for knowing their market well, and what price they can sell at. Because my real Gucci bag (my defense: I found it in my attic, an old Christmas present to my mother about 15 years ago, I don't waste money on that crap) has a YKK zipper. And today I was walking along 27th St past a fake bag store and even those "Fucci" (Fake + Gucci) bags have YKK zippers. It may be a fake bag, but even the fake bag manufacturer uses the authentic product's same bits.

When did zippers become so popular? T'was the 1920's and 1930's when children's clothes and men's pants departed the Button Age. But women were warned by clergymen that zippers hastened the undressing process and hence perpetuated sexual activities. I can only wonder what their response would be to my jeans. It wasn't until designers like Elsa Schiaparelli started incorporating the "invisible zipper" into clothing in the late 30's and by the late 50's, women were wearing zippers everywhere!

No comments: