Saturday, November 3

Eric Hutchinson!

Halloween night rocked, for lack of a better way of saying it. Last minute, V was available to go to see Eric Hutchinson at the Cutting Room! In line I ran into a friend from Rubin 6th Flo' so we caught up while waiting.

Without costumes, me and V honestly looked out of place. Walking up to the venue via 5th Ave was hard b/c of the world famous Village Halloween Parade's 6th ave over spill. Walking home afterwards, we passed the McDonalds on Union Square where a shooting and stabbing would happen 30 minutes later (never a dull night!). Now I don't mind people shooting each other up if that's the only way they can communicate their anger, I truly believe it's not my place to tell them how they should act, but the moment it starts to hurt innocent bystanders it's just not fair. And how the hell do teenagers get guns? And why were they out at 1am on a school night? And where are their parents? All I know is that between trials and serving prison sentences, I can hear my tax dollars being sucked down the drain. (Thank you 50 cent & co. for glorifying the gun culture!)

Anyways...Eric dressed up a comedian from Blue Collar TV for Halloween with a little mustache which started to fall off mid-song; he would roll his upper lip along the mic as he played his guitar to keep sticking it back on. He even had a costume contest.

Two new songs:
1. Freak Machine - cheezy but Eric-esque in the delivery, rock bluesish.
2. Lisa - was introduced as a song about "one of those friends who you always make the effort with, if you don't know what I'm talking about it's probably you" ; funny b/c it perfectly described an old friend of mine who, like Eric said, never would come to your house, I always had to go to her's, who never made an effort to hang out with you unless it was convenient for her, and is gets obsessed with a love interested who is a looser. Luckily, I don't have my "Lisa" in my life anymore.

The clip doesn't do Hutchinson justice, and although he looks very small in it, me and V had good seats.

No comments: