Tuesday, November 20

SMX London, searching for women

One observation I must mention, which didn't impress me at SMX London, was the lack of women speakers. I went to 8 sessions, each with 3 to 4 speakers and out of those 28 people (8 x 3.5) I recall 2 women.

The first was SEO Chicks Lisa Ditlefsen, which sells brilliant green SEO Chicks tshirts and did an equally brilliant Leveraging Social Media Networks presentation talking about a sleepy site called myheratige.com which went crazy viral with a celebrity lookalike widget. The second was Jane Copland of SEOmoz who, besides wearing a great lip color, had great slides for her Linkbaiting & Viral Serach Marketing Tactics presentation.

I highly doubt this lack of women (7.14% by my count) has anything to do with Chris Sherman and Danny Sullivan holding a bias against the fairer sex, but simply reflects a lack of women in SEM. At least, from my limited experince at networking events in NYC, this seems to be the case.

I intend on helping to change this trend.

1 comment:

Melar Homes said...

hope you enjoyed SMX! I come home tomorrow, can't wait to chat! Avi